Husky Slater River
Oil exploration approximately 40 kilometres south to the southeast of
the Town of Norman Wells, Northwest Territories
Client: Husky Oil Operations Limited
Project Scope Performed Under: HRN Contracting Ltd., a limited corporation comprising Nuna Logistics Limited, Hodgson’s Contracting Inc., and Red Dog Mtn. Contracting Ltd.
HNR Contracting Ltd. provided infrastructure support for Husky Oil’s exploration program from late 2012 through to 2014. HRN’s contract provisioned for heavy and light equipment, as well as gravel crushing services, with work commencing December 2012 through to summer 2014. HRN’s scope of work specific to the 2012–2013 season included the staging of equipment, fuel and camp by barge, and construction of the following.
- Ice bridge across the Mackenzie River
- 47-kilometre winter ice road
- 2 ice pads at cased holes (N-09 and H-64)
- Twin Otter–capable ice airstrip on frozen lake with ice pad at existing main base camp
- 750-metre by 50-metre gravel-surfaced all-weather airstrip for Twin Otter aircraft
- 300-metre by 250-metre all-weather storage area for installation of construction camp
- 35-kilometre all-weather road from the Mackenzie River to the project area, which required clearing a 20-metre-wide right-of-way and the installation of culverts and 2 steel bridge river crossings (1-metre average road grade)
- Gravel-surfaced drill pad for 2 HZTL wells
- Gravel-surfaced drill pad for vertical well
The all-weather infrastructure required approximately 550,000 cubic metres of quarry material, of which 40,000 to 50,000 cubic metres was crushed and stockpiled for road, airstrip, and pad surfacing.